Close

    • BMW F30 340i blows motor after switching to PTF Bootmod3 Stage 2 B58 tune - First blown tuned B58?

      PTF's (Pro Tuning Freaks) Bootmod3 B58 tuning software recently exited beta but perhaps it needs more time in testing. Unfortunately, this BMW F30 340i owner blew his motor after switching to the PTF BM3 Stage 2 B58 tune and going WOT.


      So this is how it started I was doing a pull down the road using my new bm3 stage 2 tune I have an

      I started the pull at 50 mph and went to about 5500rpm before seeing a huge cloud of smoke out the back and what sounded like dropping a bunch of nuts and bolts on the floor

      Sounds like he installed the PTF tune, took it for a spin, and then his motor threw up all over the ground.

      He was running a JB4 successfully before this.

      BM3 log before failure:


      Will PTF help him find out what went wrong? Will there be any assistance with repairs? Is the software to blame? Are they actively trying to get logs and address this? Have tunes been recalled until it is determined what went wrong?

      Well, we are about to all see how ProTuning Freaks handles this.








      This article was originally published in forum thread: BMW F30 340i blows motor after switching to PTF Bootmod3 Stage 2 B58 tune - First blown tuned B58? started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 28 Comments
      1. richpike's Avatar
        richpike -
        Eek. First pull? Wow.

        -Rich
      1. 135idct's Avatar
        135idct -
        Click here to enlarge
      1. F87Source's Avatar
        F87Source -
        Oh dang it punched a hole in the block, that's not going to be a cheap repair since a new block is needed.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
        Oh dang it punched a hole in the block, that's not going to be a cheap repair since a new block is needed.
        Seriously this is bad and PTF doesn't seem to be addressing it...
      1. rhm135's Avatar
        rhm135 -
        Just curious, what cylinder?
      1. Kern417's Avatar
        Kern417 -
        Why spread lies? Where are you getting this info? If you're pulling it from the user's posts then at least put the facts out there instead of instigating.

        - Owner's car had almost 60,000 miles. He's not concerned with warranty. He actually already bought a new block and is doing the swap himself.
        - He ran JB4 + meth for 20k miles, and then switched to BM3 when it was released. He ran it for a few days before this happened (not first pull).
        - The JB4 logs were run with the BM3 tune and JB4 in Map 0. Those are BM3 logs that you're referencing.
        - Cyl 3 rod is what failed. They are still diagnosing what actually caused it but they don't suspect it was the tune.
        - Terry along with other tuners also commented that, based on the logs, it didn't make sense to blame the tune
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        Why spread lies? Where are you getting this info? If you're pulling it from the user's posts then at least put the facts out there instead of instigating.
        Here we go... the spin begins with a zero poster showing up.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        Owner's car had almost 60,000 miles.
        Dear lord not 60k!

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        He ran it for a few days before this happened (not first pull).
        Wow, he almost got half a week out of it. Impressive.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        The JB4 logs were run with the BM3 tune and JB4 in Map 0. Those are BM3 logs that you're referencing.
        And?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        Cyl 3 rod is what failed. They are still diagnosing what actually caused it but they don't suspect it was the tune.
        Of course not. It's never the tune when switching to a new tune and the motor lets go the next day.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        Terry along with other tuners also commented that, based on the logs, it didn't make sense to blame the tune
        It never makes sense for tuners to blame the tune especially when it affects business.

        Still not sure what lies are being spread? You confirmed what was posted. The car switched to PTF's very, very green B58 OTS tune and it blew basically instantly afterwards.

        That the owner isn't concerned with his warranty supposedly doesn't change this. Others probably are concerned about losing their motor.
      1. F87Source's Avatar
        F87Source -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Seriously this is bad and PTF doesn't seem to be addressing it...
        Yeah it's pretty bad, but remember this was a beta program and the stuff was supposed to be untested so risk is supposed to be high.
      1. Kern417's Avatar
        Kern417 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Here we go... the spin begins with a zero poster showing up.
        Trust me, I had no plans to post on here. I made an account years ago to follow APR bs and Big turbo development on other platforms since the forum requires making an account to view threads. But that's another topic.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Dear lord not 60k!
        Helping clear the air since people bring warranty into it

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Wow, he almost got half a week out of it. Impressive.
        He almost ran the tune for a week. He also did a spark plug change and oil change after the flash. Was the oil topped off? Was the drain plug fully tightened? Were the spark plugs faulty? See how you can't jump to conclusions?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        And?
        Your claim "JB4 was running fine before see logs below" and you didn't realize you were referencing a BM3 log lol. Just further supporting the tune wasn't the issue.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Of course not. It's never the tune when switching to a new tune and the motor lets go the next day.

        It never makes sense for tuners to blame the tune especially when it affects business.

        Still not sure what lies are being spread? You confirmed what was posted. The car switched to PTF's very, very green B58 OTS tune and it blew basically instantly afterwards.

        That the owner isn't concerned with his warranty supposedly doesn't change this. Others probably are concerned about losing their motor.
        Claiming that the tune caused the motor to blow and PTF isn't supporting is dumb considering both tuners are actively commenting in his thread along with others that have no money in the game, including Terry and his coveted piggyback. I guess that's why people with the tune (including me) that are reading the facts don't seem to be concerned with the tune damaging their engines.

        They ran their beta for months before release, and they have already released 4-5 revisions of some of the OTS maps based on user feedback. Poor customer service right.
      1. macrorain's Avatar
        macrorain -
        Likely nothing to do with PTF/Bootmod3. There are threads confirming this on both bimmerpost and several facebook groups. Rods don't go flying with the kind of boost the logs are showing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
        Yeah it's pretty bad, but remember this was a beta program and the stuff was supposed to be untested so risk is supposed to be high.
        Definitely part of my point here but the software did exit beta recently so people should be aware of that too.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        Helping clear the air since people bring warranty into it
        That's fine but this isn't your car, right? So you're speaking on someone's else behalf with the purpose of defending PTF?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        Your claim "JB4 was running fine before see logs below" and you didn't realize you were referencing a BM3 log lol. Just further supporting the tune wasn't the issue.
        No, that's not what I said. You misinterpreted the log being posted as support for the JB4 comment. I posted the log to include the log of the failure posted before a new paragraph about the failure. I thought that was obvious it not being a BMS log...

        I'll bold it though so it makes more sense for casual readers.
      1. Kern417's Avatar
        Kern417 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's fine but this isn't your car, right? So you're speaking on someone's else behalf with the purpose of defending PTF?
        Yes, again just cross posting what the owner stated. I can use screenshots if that would make it more impartial. I chose BM3 because I refused to spend $1000 on a tune from the pre-existing options, and I want a simple stock tune map I can customize. Not a fanboy, but not a fan of misrepresentation either.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No, that's not what I said. You misinterpreted the log being posted as support for the JB4 comment. I posted the log to include the log of the failure posted before a new paragraph about the failure. I thought that was obvious it not being a BMS log...

        I'll bold it though so it makes more sense for casual readers.
        ok, it's whatever. like I said, i'm just trying to post the facts from original post. I was linked here on what was probably the 4th "Hey guys wtf happened here" comment i've seen between bmw forums and facebook groups. I would have stayed out of it but it didn't seem anyone in the thread had seen the original post
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        Yes, again just cross posting what the owner stated. I can use screenshots if that would make it more impartial. I chose BM3 because I refused to spend $1000 on a tune from the pre-existing options, and I want a simple stock tune map I can customize. Not a fanboy, but not a fan of misrepresentation either.
        That's fine. I don't see any issue.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        ok, it's whatever. like I said, i'm just trying to post the facts from original post. I was linked here on what was probably the 4th "Hey guys wtf happened here" comment i've seen between bmw forums and facebook groups. I would have stayed out of it but it didn't seem anyone in the thread had seen the original post
        I'm not stopping you from saying whatever you want, do your thing. I'm just stating it feels like a forced defense when all we know for sure at this time is the motor blew shortly after switching tunes.

        It didn't just blow, it kaboomed all over the ground.

        Plus I'm receiving more news that has been kept hush hush about PTF blown motors...
      1. maxnix's Avatar
        maxnix -
        Well, perhaps there is a reason tuners like Cobb and Dinan do not tune the last 5% margin of safety out of the engine in case the owner gets a bad tank of gas by mistake.


        I am presuming they were not running Methanol nor NOx nor other supplemental fuel?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
        I am presuming they were not running Methanol nor NOx nor other supplemental fuel?
        Apparently he was running meth which makes it look even worse regarding the tune.
      1. ssgm1x's Avatar
        ssgm1x -
        Nobody knows exactly what happened at this point so why guess or speculate ?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ssgm1x Click here to enlarge
        Nobody knows exactly what happened at this point so why guess or speculate ?
        There's pictures of a hole in the block and a trail of engine internals on the ground.

        Nobody is speculating the motor blew after switching to the PTF tune. That is exactly what happened.

        How it happened is a different question entirely.
      1. ssgm1x's Avatar
        ssgm1x -
        Your wording in the above 9-10 other comments is HIGHLY Suspicious......
        The only thing that i can clearly see from your above comments is your intent....
        Click here to enlarge