Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

I have no more smfw related gear clatter

From the moment I installed my twin disc clutch I've hated my car. It was jerky from a start. I could almost guarantee I would stall it at least once each day I would drive it. Hills were an absolute no no and I chose routes to places specifically avoiding hills. Putting any sort of load on the car at anything under 2600-2800 rpms caused gear clatter so loud it over powered my AE quad exhaust and made me so embarrassed that such a nice car sounded like such $#@!. It was terrible.

The car has an fftec vff900 6466 single turbo kit, PTF solid motor mounts, PTF solid transmission mounts, redline manual and auto trans fluid cocktail, AE quad exhaust, and a Spec/Motiv twin disc with the steel smfw and sprung pucked clutch discs.

M all of the above items were in place before the twin disc was installed and things were great. I didn't notice any real increase in nvh with the solid mounts and the car just felt very connected with them. Then came that pesky clutch and smfw. Well, about a year later and maybe only 2000-3000 miles put on it since the clutch(I hated the car that bad!) I decided it was time to start swapping things around to find out what items had what influence on the transmission of the nasty gear clatter noise. Items to swap were trans mounts, motor mounts and exhaust. The good news is I've solved my gear clatter, the bad news is I solved it on the first try and have no reason to swap either of the other two items now.

So, what eliminated the rocks in a can for me??? The trans mounts. The clatter is gone, the car pulls away from a stop now with ease and it's not jerky at all. Only thing left to test is stop and go on a hill. Admittedly, I'm not looking forward to testing this one, but can't imagine it won't fair better than with the solid mounts.

Take away...solid mounts are great as long as you have a dmfw, but are a track only item if you're running a smfw. Any dmfw people wanna buy a set of solid trans mounts in great condition?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad that you figured it out for your car. I was hoping that you were suggesting stiffer mounts as I have the stock mounts and the noise/jerkiness is driving me nuts. I can relate though, the car just doesn't feel as nice, hoping that raising the idle at least helps with some of the clatter.
    Doc Race Single Turbo Kit PTE5862 - e93 FBO 6MT - Meth - Fuel-It Stage 1 LPFP - JB4/BEF - MFactory 3.46 LSD - MFactory SMFW - Spec Stage 3+ Clutch - ADV o2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by konvikt21 Click here to enlarge
    Glad that you figured it out for your car. I was hoping that you were suggesting stiffer mounts as I have the stock mounts and the noise/jerkiness is driving me nuts. I can relate though, the car just doesn't feel as nice, hoping that raising the idle at least helps with some of the clatter.
    To be fair, I do have solid motor mounts still. So, maybe it's an odd combination of compliance and rigidity that is taking care of it for me? I am planning on swapping in the OEM mounts at some point though to see what the effects are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im confused, did the stock trans mounts cause this or the aftermarket ones?

Just a side note, i have about 500 miles on my clutchmasters twin disc. Only rattles slightly at idle, but id like to have no rattle as well ha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At least for my car, raising the idle and playing around with the tranny fluid made an enormous difference.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    At least for my car, raising the idle and playing around with the tranny fluid made an enormous difference.

Neil
    any recommendation for fluid?
    Doc Race Single Turbo Kit PTE5862 - e93 FBO 6MT - Meth - Fuel-It Stage 1 LPFP - JB4/BEF - MFactory 3.46 LSD - MFactory SMFW - Spec Stage 3+ Clutch - ADV o2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by konvikt21 Click here to enlarge
    any recommendation for fluid?
    I've been told 1qt. of Redline 75W-140 gear oil and 1qt. of Redline synthetic D4 ATF. I haven't tried it myself yet but am planning to in a few weeks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We recommend the Torco SGO (75w40 for street, 75w140 for race)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by samacdonald Click here to enlarge
    I've been told 1qt. of Redline 75W-140 gear oil and 1qt. of Redline synthetic D4 ATF. I haven't tried it myself yet but am planning to in a few weeks
    This is what I am running.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idratherbesurfing Click here to enlarge
    Im confused, did the stock trans mounts cause this or the aftermarket ones?

Just a side note, i have about 500 miles on my clutchmasters twin disc. Only rattles slightly at idle, but id like to have no rattle as well ha
    Solid trans mount and a smfw caused the horrible clatter sounds transmission. Returning to OEM trans mounts damped the noise to a nearly unnoticeable level.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    This is what I am running.
    Sounds like this hasn't helped you much so maybe it's worth trying something a little thicker?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Solid trans mount and a smfw caused the horrible clatter sounds transmission. Returning to OEM trans mounts damped the noise to a nearly unnoticeable level.
    Oh ok, did you re use the old oem mounts or did you buy new ones? Maybe I'll just buy a new set of OEM mounts so they are fresh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Cant we use E46 M3 trans bushings? Quieter but also a little more stiff than OEM?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like this hasn't helped you much so maybe it's worth trying something a little thicker?
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion based on what's been said.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idratherbesurfing Click here to enlarge
    Oh ok, did you re use the old oem mounts or did you buy new ones? Maybe I'll just buy a new set of OEM mounts so they are fresh
    I bought some new ones. Still trying to decide what I'm going to do motor mount wise. I don't really want to run the poly mount with my Motiv kit when I switch. So, a little lost there at the moment.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chris@CKI Click here to enlarge
    Cant we use E46 M3 trans bushings? Quieter but also a little more stiff than OEM?
    Yes. I've heard they are a direct fit. I honestly don't notice any negative changes though going from solid to stock. For me, no reason to increase stiffness of the trans mounts now. Now, with OEM motor mounts too...maybe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion based on what's been said.
    You said your gear chatter over powered your exhaust so I assumed the fluid didn't help. How did it work for you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You said your gear chatter over powered your exhaust so I assumed the fluid didn't help. How did it work for you?
    The fluid wasn't able to damp the noise transmission from traveling through the solid trans mounts and into the body of the car and amplifying it. Once I changed the solid trans mounts out for OEM trans mounts, it got crazy quiet in comparison. The fluid has to work well though because I have heard stock motor and trans mount cars with OEM fluid have wayyy louder gear clatter than I do now.

Ive driven the car a little more and do notice some vibes at very low take off rpms from a stop...like sub 1200. I believe these are due to my solid motor mounts and I plan to swap those out as well to see if there is further improvement. Once I get the car back to being as comfortable and daily friendly as I can, I'll see what areas really needed the extra stiffness and then try to figure out how I'm going to manage the situation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes. I've heard they are a direct fit. I honestly don't notice any negative changes though going from solid to stock. For me, no reason to increase stiffness of the trans mounts now. Now, with OEM motor mounts too...maybe.
    cuz you haz no powahClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cuz you haz no powahClick here to enlarge
    But I have all the powah mods...so I can say it can make powah. That's the same, no?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The fluid wasn't able to damp the noise transmission from traveling through the solid trans mounts and into the body of the car and amplifying it. Once I changed the solid trans mounts out for OEM trans mounts, it got crazy quiet in comparison. The fluid has to work well though because I have heard stock motor and trans mount cars with OEM fluid have wayyy louder gear clatter than I do now.

Ive driven the car a little more and do notice some vibes at very low take off rpms from a stop...like sub 1200. I believe these are due to my solid motor mounts and I plan to swap those out as well to see if there is further improvement. Once I get the car back to being as comfortable and daily friendly as I can, I'll see what areas really needed the extra stiffness and then try to figure out how I'm going to manage the situation.
    Did you have the vibration in decel / 5th gear accel too issue I have? If so did this solve it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona@motiv Click here to enlarge
    Did you have the vibration in decel / 5th gear accel too issue I have? If so did this solve it?
    If so, I didn't notice it. I need to replace my turbo oil drain line because it had a slight leak. So, I'm not going to drive it until that's fixed. But I'll let you know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes Chris that's what I'm running!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your experience is interesting as my experience with a SMFW, twin plate and different trans and engine mounts is very different to yours. I had stock motor mounts and E46 M3 trans mounts and then I installed the exact same MOTIV flywheel and clutch setup that you have. My idle chatter was minimal at best with the AC off and mild to moderate with it on and I have chatter during take off but I didn't get much in the way of any transmission noise. I installed some UUC poly blue isolated poly trans mounts and noticed maybe only a slight increase in transmission noise and then I followed that up by installing AD engineering poly motor mounts and got some moderate vibration from the engine as well as engine noise but no change at all in the transmission NVH. After that I swapped out the UUC blues for some UUC poly red bolt through trans mounts and got maybe some mild to moderate increase in transmission noise but still nothing like bolts in a can.

I definitely didn't notice any negative effects on the way the car shifted or the clutch performed from swapping engine and trans mounts. It actually made shifting much more direct and enjoyable although the transmission can still sometimes be a little bit notchy. I would have gone the Motiv solid mounts but when I tried to order them they told me they didn't have any in stock and weren't planning on making any more and refunded my money.

I use straight redline MT-90 in my trans.

If the price is right I'm happy to take your transmission mounts and give them a go in my car. Should be interesting as I stripped out the interior the other day. Everything except the dash and the headliner pretty much.
    Last edited by froop; 06-29-2016 at 02:31 AM.
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The E46 M3 transmission bushings are a direct fit and definitely stiffer than the stock bushings however your experience depends on how worn your stock bushings are I think. When I swapped them into mine I noticed maybe only a mild improvement in shift feel. The gearbox still feels very notchy. Others have done this same swap and reported a much larger improvement. That may have been due to more worn bushings >100,000kms. Mine only had about 35,000kms on them. On the plus side, there is definitely no NVH increase from the M3 bushings so you can't really go wrong unless you install them incorrectly.
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by froop Click here to enlarge
    Your experience is interesting as my experience with a SMFW, twin plate and different trans and engine mounts is very different to yours. I had stock motor mounts and E46 M3 trans mounts and then I installed the exact same MOTIV flywheel and clutch setup that you have. My idle chatter was minimal at best with the AC off and mild to moderate with it on and I have chatter during take off but I didn't get much in the way of any transmission noise. I installed some UUC poly blue isolated poly trans mounts and noticed maybe only a slight increase in transmission noise and then I followed that up by installing AD engineering poly motor mounts and got some moderate vibration from the engine as well as engine noise but no change at all in the transmission NVH. After that I swapped out the UUC blues for some UUC poly red bolt through trans mounts and got maybe some mild to moderate increase in transmission noise but still nothing like bolts in a can.

I definitely didn't notice any negative effects on the way the car shifted or the clutch performed from swapping engine and trans mounts. It actually made shifting much more direct and enjoyable although the transmission can still sometimes be a little bit notchy. I would have gone the Motiv solid mounts but when I tried to order them they told me they didn't have any in stock and weren't planning on making any more and refunded my money.

I use straight redline MT-90 in my trans.

If the price is right I'm happy to take your transmission mounts and give them a go in my car. Should be interesting as I stripped out the interior the other day. Everything except the dash and the headliner pretty much.
    How much are the new ones going for? I'll gladly sell you them to give a whirl at.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How much are the solid mounts from PTF? Don't see them on their site.
    No longer participating on this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast