Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBacon335 Click here to enlarge
    I can only imagine they will be similar to the Hydra performance turbos
    Similar yes (just like a couple of the other similar options) just without the many ball drops each.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    just without the many ball drops each.
    What am I missing? The Hydra dude making some early mistakes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What am I missing? The Hydra dude making some early mistakes?
    I thought they were very well designed. I'm curious as to what the ball drop is with them as well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The Hydra setup went in a lot of right directions and in fact it is my favorite to date, but it added a couple wrong turns especially if turbos ordered for the N54 head (while the N53 head custom manifold looks very nice). The biggest problem is the re-use of the OE manifold, secondary to that is the 12-blade turbine, lastly is some internal machining quirks in these turbine housings. NOTE: The wastegates that are included with these housings are pretty poor in design as well.

While the OE manifold is a very high quality piece (and thus we can see why it is desirable to use), the throat size is a great mismatch for the new housing and that is a large kicker. While it is a GREAT match for the OE turbine housing flow wise and extremely high quality of course, that is about where the buck stops. This is unfortunate as the housing Hydra is using is the first we have seen to actually be a well designed, high flow, and an overall very high quality piece. On another note the manifold that is native to this housing is not quite all perfect either, it will need to have some internal CNC machining to get it worthwhile of usage. But once these custom efforts are complete it will be a nice piece and of course a well matched one at that, this is the proper route of action IMO.

Regarding the internal turbine housing machining you guys would poop yourselves if we showed pictures of the atrociousness of some of the others, unfortunately when you are not machining your own stuff you tend to miss some of these gotchas in life. This one is not quite up to par but it is the best one we've seen in this regard, certainly a large step in the right direction.

Lastly the OE 12-blade turbine casting, while it works and we used it for years as well in the classic RBs for example, there are just much better flowing castings available these days. We understand this was the choice as it was felt to be of highest quality and also a common "fault", but unfortunately metallurgical issues and/or other turbine quality issues is not why these turbines in some of these turbo offerings have been failing. In these cases the vendor responsible just hasn't figured out why yet, or refuses to accept the true reasons; and meanwhile keeps fiddling around with materials an casting designs hoping for an easy cure.

When it comes to internals and balancing, we have no idea the choices there but hopefully it is all done top flight.

All in all picking between these setups to date has been like choosing between hemorrhoids or ulcers, unfortunately it just has come down to which is done the best out of a field of poor options. The plan is to change all of that around.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well I got a set of the 650s which I thought were a pretty good match of components for wanting 500whp reliably. I'm putting them on next month when I have spring break off of work from the vocational school. I'll let everyone know how they work out especially long term as this is my daily driver.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBacon335 Click here to enlarge
    Well I got a set of the 650s which I thought were a pretty good match of components for wanting 500whp reliably. I'm putting them on next month when I have spring break off of work from the vocational school. I'll let everyone know how they work out especially long term as this is my daily driver.
    I think for your 500whp power goal, the OE manifold in itself is fine. I really do not think it becomes too restrictive until closer to 600whp, but unfortunately it definitely is not matched well in the throat area to your new turbine housings which creates a large outward step as the exhaust flow transitions from the manifold to the turbine housing inlet. Just a bad design idea, a take one step forward and then a step back sort of thing or as mentioned prior a ball drop of sorts.

For your power goals something simple and well matched like our RB Twos would've been very well efficient, more affordable, offer better wastegates, and be quite a bit easier to install with the availability of standard style outlets. Not to mention, 100% proven, still not a hiccup with a single set of them now 17 months later.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Another month gone by, another 12 or so setup out the door. Tis the season for tons of orders, as we are experiencing as usual very high demand this time of year... unfortunately to the point of just not being able to keep up. It is remarkable a decade later, this engine platform primarily ALONE is all we can keep up with on demand.

Regarding quality it was a quiet month overall, but did have a confirmed failure of a RB Classic rebuild/upgrade to RB Next Gen Plus performed mid/late last year and subsequently sent to a Russian customer. Due to some extreme language barriers, it is hard to say what all lead up to this failure... but one thing we COULD gather is that its all intertwined with another N54 engine biting the dust in the form of low compression and suspected bent rods. Customer stated a donor engine was sourced from Europe and was being installed, and of course the turbos will need to be serviced along with it.

4/13/19 EDIT: This customer has returned the turbo and it was found that the turbine wheel literally sheered off from the shaft. They also indicated that they now believe the engine was good, minus some bearing and internal cylinder scoring it was though to be "in decent shape". There are ongoing discussions on how the shaft could have snapped (ie. usually caused by a BOV or Surging) issue, but not sure we will ever find out the actual cause or be told if it was an extreme abuse ("send it") scenario. In the meantime we have kept the shaft for reference to compare if there is ever a recurrence, as this is a first of its kind (since product Intro with ~30 months time in the field) we do not anticipate any sort of quality issue on our side.

It was mentioned above but all of our TD04 offerings as known prior have now been officially discontinued, and they will be replaced with a forthcoming fully cast TD04 setup hopefully made public within the next month. In the interim and for what has become the more norm over the past year or so, our TD03 offerings have been our best sellers and we can only hope that our new TD04 offerings will come even remotely close to them from a sales perspective. Regarding the TD03 setups we have one Higher powered new comer right around the corner as well (RB Twos Plus), as our new custom turbines have been received so we expect to have them going within the next month or so as well.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 04-13-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    02-08-2019, 10:47 AM
    Another month and another 12 or so setups out the door.

Interesting month in that we have had our first ever RB OEM complaint, on a set of RB OEM DIY CHRA's purchased last year. A risky product to sell as it does put a lot of responsibility and turbo handling into the end users hands (something I was extremely critical about ever offering), but all said they have been AMAZING to say the least- meaning we must be selling to some very talented and careful DIY'ers of the world. Anyway pictures provided showed that the turbos had failed- but at the same time the customer was forthright enough to also say that the engine was a built motor that had also failed from rod knock upon startup (with our new CHRA's installed on it). We suspect obviously that the contaminated oil from the failed (newly built) motor had led to the demise of the CHRA's, but they have yet to be sent back for observation. Just to note we began selling these RB OEMs and RB OEM Billets (offered in both complete and DIY form) 2 years and 3 months ago, and have sold a truck load of them to the tune of 200 or so sets all combined. I was wondering how long it would take before we saw even a SINGLE issue- and even though this is not something we can control it FINALLY did happen here.
    Another month and another 18+ setups out the door (it has been beyond crazy busy).

Quality wise all was quiet aside for yet another DIY OEM CHRA kit sold, which directly after install failed per customer report. As listed above we had saw the first ever RB OEM failure (from being installed on a bearing failed engine), several months back of which was also an DIY OEM CHRA kit.

Now here we are 2.5 years post production, selling an absolute ton of the RB OEM products, with no real faulted setup to date. Unfortunately what we had found here is that the compressor wheel was damaged, and the shaft literally snapped off at the compressor wheel nut. We suspect that the compressor insertion into the housing either damaged the fins affecting the fin integrity causing separation/misbalance, or perhaps the diverters were not functioning properly and snapped the shaft.

We were not able to get much from the customer for assistance, and it didn't appear that they had done the DIY efforts themselves to know what/if anything had gone wrong in that regard either. Regardless we soaked this one up and sent them a new set, even inserted them ourselves into another set of undamaged compressor housings, and even paid for the marginal shipping rate back to them.

Once again these DIY offerings are a risky product to sell as we are expecting that the end user has a certain level of turbo building expertise, but all in all have been very proud in that most typically we are not seeing any issues over substantial amounts of time and units sold. All of that said it seemed reasonable to eat it despite our beliefs on the actual root cause of the failure, if we had seen more of this than the 1 in the past 2.5 years it could be worth simply not offering them anymore due to the implied risk in assumption that the end user has the technical aptitude to do the work.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Another month and another 18+ setups out the door (it has been beyond crazy busy).
    I'm just curious, are you doing any S55 work or N55 stuff or is it still mainly N54?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm just curious, are you doing any S55 work or N55 stuff or is it still mainly N54?
    Joe,

As I personally hand build/balance every turbocharger- no not yet. Kind of a bummer as we have 10's of K's invested in literally every other engine, from N20 to S63TU, all RB customized upgraded parts sitting here ready to go.

But the N54 market just never seems to lay off enough which is pretty amazing. Surely much more profits to be had elsewhere and thus it has been a plan to expand, but I'd literally have to start declining a lot of sales in order to bring in any other work. So basically have just been winging it with the current/evolved N54 portfolio and waiting for some slowdown to maybe happen someday. Alternatively could give up the OCD control freak and bring in another to help with the intricate final build sides of things, but to date that part is all handled by only myself as QC has been what has been of utmost importance.

Rob

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345