Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Comparing Carista and OBD11 For Coding on Audi A3/S3/RS3 FL (2017+)

One of the cool things about Audiís is they have a ton of options for coding them. Adding little tweaks that youíd otherwise need the dealer to do. Vag Com by Ross Tech is the 800lb guerilla (you can basically code anything with a PC, VCDS software and an OBD to USB cable), but like many 800lb guerillas, they often rely on their brand vs continuing to innovate. Ross Techís website looks straight out of the 90s and their GUI is archaic at best.

In comes Carista and OBD11. Two OBD dongles that use your smartphone (iOS or Android for Carista, only Android for OBD11 currently, but they have said their working on iOS as well, but it will require a new dongle). They automate a lot of the most common tweaks so it is very straightforward. Iíve been trying to decide between the two and decided to put together a list of features they both currently support on the 8V Audi S3 face lift (2017+).

One thing to note that is a huge benefit for OBD11 - you can actually do the same long coding with it that you can with VCDS. They just put a wrapper around a lot of the most common tweaks. Carista doesnít currently support long coding. But since they both support pre-configured coding, I decided to do a compare of what they can do.

In the end, I think Iím going with OBD11. Iím not a huge Android fan, but itís just too powerful to pass up. And who knows - I may buy both.

Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So which one did you buy?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I’m going to buy both. Already bought Carista. But OBD11 just officially announced support for iOS11, so I’ll pick it up when that is released.

So far Carista is OK. Great UI. But not all the codings work properly yet (like mirror dip doesn’t return). A lot of it is in beta as the 8V FL is still very new.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just realized I wrote iOS11. Just meant iOS.

-Rich